Does the happen in our trade, I hope not.

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Does the happen in our trade, I hope not.

Post by screenman »

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken wall at 10 Downing Street ; one from London , another from Bristol and the third, Liverpool .

They go with a government official to examine the wall.

The London contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil.

'Well', he says, 'I figure the job will run about £900: £400 for materials, £400 for my crew and £100 profit for me.'

The Bristol contractor also does some measuring and figuring, and then says, 'I can do this job for £700: £300 for materials, £300 for my crew and £100 profit for me.'

The Liverpool contractor doesn't measure or figure but leans over to the Government official and whispers, "£2,700."

The official, incredulous, says, 'You didn't even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with such a high figure?'

The Liverpool contractor whispers back, '£1000 for me, £1000 for you, and we hire the guy from Bristol to fix the wall.'

'Done!' replies the government official.
schotz1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Does the happen in our trade, I hope not.

Post by schotz1 »

I haven't heard of it happening exactly like that but I have run into simaliar. I like in the US and I own a body shop with wrecker and do glass repair and intallation. I was approached by our local goverment agency in reguards to doing body work and glass work. He wanted a bid from me and was going to get quotes from my competitors. On his bid sheet was a price for tires. I turned my sheet in without a price for tires because I don't sell tires. The tire store down the street sells tires and does a good job of it. The gov agent called and informed me he could not accept my bid without the tire price. I informed him we don't do tires and he told me to just put a high number in there and sublet it out. The goverment agency does not want to go to separate stores, they want one place to drop the vehicals off and take care of it all. I am not going to deal with tires, oil changes, mechanical issues, and to keep track of the billing so I declined my bid. apparently my competitor declined also and some guy that doesn't even work on cars is handling it and subleting all of the work out.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Does the happen in our trade, I hope not.

Post by Brent Deines »

I had several government contracts and had no problem subletting the services I could not do myself. With all the great software available these days bookkeeping really isn't that hard these days but pricing sometimes presented a challenge since I don't believe in overcharging just because it is a government agency and price is not always their highest priority.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.